Submission Number: MBTL-EIS-0002353
Received: 11/19/2013 12:50:50 AM
Commenter: Don Russell
Organization: Spokane Outreach
Agency: Cowlitz County, the Washington Department of Ecology, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Initiative: Millennium Bulk-Terminals Longview EIS
Attachments: No Attachments
The negative affects of increased coal transport through Spokane for export to China are evident.
A. Damage to the local communities in Spokane Valley:
1. Uncovered coal trains increase particulate levels in the air. This added particulate in Spokane County must cause an increase in chronic bronchitis. Who will pay for the cost of providing health care for those stricken? (http://www.coaltrainfacts.org/category/coal-dust)
2. Coal dust in relatively small quantities is highly volatile, subject to spontaneous combustion. Who will pay for increases in damage due to fires caused by coal dust suspended in the air along railways. Allowing coal dust to accumulate in the air is irresponsible.
3. Many small businesses will no longer be accessible to customers due to roadway blockage. In Spokane County small businesses are barely surviving. Any loss of clientele will cause business closure and job loss. Congestion is already causing serious delays at railroad crossings. Adding more rail traffic is irresponsible.
4. Increasing the transport of coal through Spokane County will not provide any new jobs! At meeting I spoke with supporter and supporter who told me they were paid by the railroad company to say we more jobs will be available. This is a lie! We sand to suffer job loss.
B. Global responsibility:
1. Toxic by products from unmonitored coal processing plants enter the upper atmosphere, travel across the ocean and settle on the mountain s of the Pacific Northwest. Priest Lake has toxins that come from China coalmines. It is irresponsible to sacrifice quality of life here by selling coal to China. It is foolish to sell coal to China. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpCT8q36aEg)
In summary it is evident that regularly running thousands of tons of raw coal heaped high in uncovered coal cars is damaging to human health, destructive to the local economy, a fire hazard and irresponsible behavior.
Please respond in a way that allows me to know that someone actually read this content. We feel unheard, disrespected and placated in Spokane County. Our health does not seem to be important to politicians, local leaders, officials or government. We already are having trouble with the quality of our air due to the waste to energy plant. If these open coal trains are allowed to pass through Spokane, expect class action lawsuits to be launched, sophisticated monitoring of air quality determining coal dust particulate levels to be stationed and all legal means of resistance to proceed.